How do I make a payment?

ANSWER: We accept checks, money orders, cashier's check, and wire transfers. While we do not initiate any electronic payments, our firm is a known vendor to most banks located in Connecticut. You can contact your bank and they should be able to set up an auto payment for your account. Please make your payments payable to Tobin and Marohn and mail to 538 Preston Avenue, Suite 270, Meriden, CT 06450.

Feel free to Contact Us to discuss available payment options.


How can I contact Tobin & Marohn?

ANSWER: We offer numerous ways for you to reach us. Please visit our Contact Us page on our website.


Who should I contact?

ANSWER: Any of our resolution specialists will be able to assist and/or route your call to the proper party. Feel free to Contact Us.


Can I make a lump sum offer to settle my account?

ANSWER: Offers of settlement must be approved/authorized by our clients. We are happy to have any offer you make reviewed. If you would like to make an offer of settlement, please Contact Us.


Can I pay over time?

ANSWER: Many times our clients will authorize us to negotiate periodic payment plans on terms agreeable between the parties. If you would like to propose a payment plan, please Contact Us.